On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 9:46 AM, <harry.dev...@faa.gov> wrote:

> Update: using port 389 and none for encryption, and I had to change the
> search DN to be just cn=Directory Manager.  Now I get the following error:
>

> Nov 27 09:42:01 access server: 09:42:01.909 [http-bio-8080-exec-6] WARN
> o.a.g.a.l.AuthenticationProviderService - Multiple DNs possible for user
> "harry.devine": [uid=harry.devine,cn=users,cn=compat,dc=example,dc=com,
> uid=harry.devine,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com]

Try disabling LDAP alias dereferencing:

ldap-dereference-aliases: never

It looks like you probably have the cn=users,cn=compat area pointed to the
real objects (cn=users,cn=accounts), and this could be confusing the LDAP
client when it expects uniquely-named items.  Otherwise, you'll need to
narrow your base DN such that it only locates one or the other account.