OMG! found my issue and boy do I feel stupid!  I thought the plugin was
crashing which was why I wasn't seeing connection attempts to my radius
server...them maybe I thought it was my properties ...so I check them
against what I found in the jira and it looked right...radius-server:
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...then I figured I would look through the code and to my
surprise the property name that I should have been using is
radius-hostname.  Still feeling dumb! I'm so sorry that I've wasted your
time, but that you for trying to help me!