On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 8:09 PM Robert Dinse <nan...@eskimo.com> wrote:

> I've got a bit of a disaster on my hands. I am in the process of
> installing
> guacamole. Got guacamole-server and guacamole-client built, so far so
> good.
> Tried to deploy but guacamole.war would not deploy in the Ubuntu 18.10
> environment. Discovered this is because the version of Java, guacamole
> won't
> run in Java 11, needs Java 8. Okay, since I have no other java application
> it
> seemed reasonable to just de-install jdk-11 and install oracle-java-8
> (jdk-8 is
> missing some libraries). So installed it and then tomcat wouldn't start.
> Found
> out when you build Tomcat it has a library that is specific to the Java
> version. So I snagged Tomcat source and built it and now tomcat runs and
> deploys guacamole.war correctly. However it is running as root, when you
> install the package in Ubuntu it runs as tomcat8, and that is how I would
> like
> it to run. But I can't figure out where in the configuration you set that.
> Does
> anyone know how to do this?

A couple of notes for you:
- You can install Tomcat from the distribution without having to compile it
from source.  The website has binaries available.
- The way to change the user running Tomcat is simple to change the user
you run the startup.sh script as.  So, if you want to run it as tomcat8,
run "sudo -u tomcat8 /path/to/tomcat/bin/startup.sh".  You may have to
change permissions on the path where you installed Tomcat to the tomcat8
user.