On Mon, 25 Feb 2019, Nick Couchman wrote:

A couple of notes for you:
- You can install Tomcat from the distribution without having to compile it
from source.  The website has binaries available.

     Please go back and read my message, I stated the reason for not using
the binaries.  It has to do with version specific libraries.

- The way to change the user running Tomcat is simple to change the user
you run the startup.sh script as.  So, if you want to run it as tomcat8,
run "sudo -u tomcat8 /path/to/tomcat/bin/startup.sh".  You may have to
change permissions on the path where you installed Tomcat to the tomcat8
user.

     There is a way to change the user in tomcat internally and a reason
for using it.  This gives it the ability to bind to ports below 1024 and then
change UID, this is why I need this configuration option rather than an su
hack.