Paul,

Wouldn't VNC do what you accomplish? I used to use it extensively to
connect in to a coworker's computer. If I recall correctly, I used UltraVNC
and we could disable our keyboard/mouse so we wouldn't disturb them (and
they wouldn't even know we were there), we could black out their screen, or
we could share control with them. Of course, some of these rely on the
UltraVNC client/server combination, but at the very least VNC should let
you connect simultaneously with the user.