I understand that you don't want to use anything external to Guacamole, but
for anyone else stumbling on this discussion, I wanted to add that I use
haproxy for RDP load balancing behind Guacamole. It has the extra
functionalities of 1) connectivity test to avoid balancing a user onto a
non-functional RDP server and 2) reconnecting a user with a disconnected
RDP session back to the server their session is on, even if they have
logged out of Guacaomole in the interim. I am using the "stick-table",
"stick on rdp_cookie(...)" and "external-check" directives in my
haproxy.cfg, along with the check_x224 nagios plugin (from
exchange.nagios.org; you can just do a basic TCP port 3389 connectivity
check with the "tcp-check" directive, too) to accomplish this.