On Wed, May 22, 2024 at 1:42 PM Barnhart, Steven <barnhart....@osu.edu>
wrote:

> We have a scenario where a lab may be used in person, but we also want it
> to be available remotely through guacamole. I know Guacamole doesn’t handle
> that right now (or seemingly), but is it even possible or does the RDP
> protocol not expose that at all?

To my knowledge, RDP servers do not expose that information as part of the
RDP protocol, at least, not prior to the connection + authentication
process. I think the clearest indication of that is the fact that, when you
connect to a (Windows) server where someone is already logged in, the
authentication succeeds, but then you get the dialog box telling you that
the maximum number of connections has been reached, and asking you who
you'd like to request to kick off.

You might be able to solve the problem by doing the following two things:
1) Adjust GPO such that users are not allowed to disconnect other users
(see "Deny logoff of an administrator logged on to the console session" for
example - there may be other policies that apply).
2) Make sure that your Guacamole connections are configured to always
connect to the local console session.