I have installed guacamole using latest code (git clone) as outlined here:
http://www.cb-net.co.uk/linux/debian-8-6-jessie-installing-guacamole/

I have since tried to get MySQL configuration working using the steps below:

# Download guacamole-auth-jdbc-0.9.9.tar.gz and copy to
/etc/guacamole/extensions/
wget
http://netix.dl.sourceforge.net/project/guacamole/current/extensions/guacamole-auth-jdbc-0.9.9.tar.gz

tar -zxvf guacamole-auth-jdbc-0.9.9.tar.gz
cd ~/guacamole-auth-jdbc-0.9.9/mysql
cp *.jar /etc/guacamole/extensions/
cd..

# Download mysql-connector-java-5.1.40-bin.jar and copy to /etc/guacamole/lib/
wget
https://cdn.mysql.com//Downloads/Connector-J/mysql-connector-java-5.1.40.tar.gz
tar -zxvf mysql-connector-java-5.1.40.tar.gz
cd mysql-connector-java-5.1.40
cp mysql-connector-java-5.1.40-bin.jar /etc/guacamole/lib/

# Configure MySQL via supplied scripts
mysql -u root -p<password>
    CREATE DATABASE guacamole;
    CREATE USER 'guacamole'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY '<password>';
    GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE ON guacamole.* TO 'guacamole'@'localhost';
    FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
    quit

cd ~/guacamole-auth-jdbc-0.9.9/mysql
cat schema/*.sql | mysql -u root -p guacamole

(I confirmed the guacadmin user was created)

# Guacamole.properties as below:
mysql-hostname: localhost
mysql-port: 3306
mysql-database: guacamole
mysql-username: guacamole
mysql-password: <password>
 I am however, unable to get the extension to load, and thus authentication
fails. The error in catalina.out as below:

ERROR o.a.g.extension.ExtensionModule - Extension
"guacamole-auth-jdbc-mysql-0.9.9.jar" could not be loaded: Authentication
provider class cannot be loaded (wrong version of API?)

No errors anywhere else that I can see, including when running guacd as below -
not sure what I am missing, or what the caus eof this error would be?
/usr/local/sbin/guacd -f -L debug