Nick

Thanks I was already aware of most of that but was puzzled why when I even
set a higher resolution in /etc/X11/xorg.conf... the display still stays at
the lowere resolution?

On Karl Runge's (orig author of x11vnc) site there is a ton of great info
including how to dynamically change display from cli w/out restarting
x11vnc.  ( I will try this next).

But from reading the following:

http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/faq.html#faq-headless

It would seem what I had already done "should" have worked?

Brian