Hi, Wei-Chiu -

I don't know if this is something already in the pipeline for 3.x, but I'd like to see a mechanism in HDFS that encrypts blocks pre-storage such that I'd only have to manage keys in one place (NameManager?). If that capability existed, then I could move blocks around an unsafe network and/or not have to worry about my worker nodes having volume-level or whole-disk-level encryption. Even if I have Hadoop traffic only crossing a LAN that's captive to the cluster, I might still have to worry about worker nodes being stolen outright or having the drive(s) taken out of them.

- Jeff