I want to know what java versions are compatible with the latest hadoop.
The most that the documentation
<https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/ClusterSetup.html#Prerequisites>
says
is to check the wiki
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP2/HadoopJavaVersions>,
which is obviously out of date since it only is listing java 6 and 7. That
wiki has a link to another wiki page
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP/Hadoop+Java+Versions>,
which is more helpful, as it actually lists the compatible versions of
java. However, it doesn't say which jdk's/jvm's are supported (Oracle vs
OpenJDK, vs AdoptOpenJDK, or hotspot vs open-j9). Also, that page says that
hadoop 3 is only compatible with java 8, but Cloudera's CDH 6, which uses
<https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/6/release-notes/topics/rg_cdh_63_packaging.html#cdh_632_packaging>
hadoop
3, apparently supports
<https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/6/release-notes/topics/rg_java_requirements.html#concept_ugf_4sg_5gb>
 openjdk11.

We would really like to use java 11 with our new hadoop builds due to the
improved garbage collection, and would also prefer to use non-oracle jdk
builds, but the messaging about what is supported seems sparse and
sometimes contradictory.  Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks!

- Augustine