On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Joseph Pallas <joseph.pal...@oracle.com> wrote:
> Drifting off topic a bit …
>
> On Sep 1, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Ryan Rawson wrote:
>
>>> First, you have to learn:
>>> 1) Linux HA
>>> 2) DRDB
>>>
>>> Right out of the gate just to have a redundant name node.
>>
>> Eh, no one would do that.  If you want a redundant name node your only
>> choice is to use Mapr, which I would def recommend since you get a
>> better nn "fail-over" w/o service interruption and significantly
>> higher performance than hdfs.
>
> Really?  People running offline analytics may be fine with an hour of
> downtime
> [<http://hadoopblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hadoop-namenode-high-availability.html>
>
> <http://www.hortonworks.com/data-integrity-and-availability-in-apache-hadoop-hdfs/>]
>  for their M/R jobs, but people running interactive services do not find that
> acceptable.
>
> Is my only option to avoid significant downtime in the event of a name node
> failure a closed-source offering that has already demonstrated at least one
> serious data-loss issue
> <http://answers.mapr.com/questions/415/hbase-table-disappear-after-failover-attempt-and-fall-back>?

Well, actually... yes.  HA/DRDB flip will take at the very least 10-30
seconds, and possibly 10 minutes or longer if your cluster is really
big.  Avatar node presumes a $250k netapp, and still has a 10-30
second flip time once you trigger it.  The NN-HA work is still WIP.

You could always use ceph, right?