Nick : Thanks, I've created an issue [1].

Pradeep : Yes, I have considered using that. However for the moment, we've
set it out of scope, since our migration from 0.94 -> 0.98 is already a bit
complicated, and we hoped to separate isolate these changes by not moving
to the async client until after the current migration is complete.

Andrew : HTableMultiplexer does seem like it would solve our buffered write
problem, albeit in an awkward way -- thanks! It kind of seems like HTable
should then (if autoFlush == false) send writes to the multiplexer, rather
than setting it in its own, short-lived writeBuffer. If nothing else, it's
still super confusing that HTableInterface exposes setAutoFlush() and
setWriteBufferSize(), given that the writeBuffer won't meaningfully buffer
anything if all tables are short-lived.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-12728