From: Andrew Kettmann
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2018 11:35 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Inconsistent rows exported/counted when looking at a set, unchanged
past time frame.

First the version details:

Running HBASE/Yarn/HDFS using Cloudera manager 5.12.1.
Hbase: Version 1.2.0-cdh5.8.0
HDFS/YARN: Hadoop 2.6.0-cdh5.8.0
Hbck and hdfs fsck return healthy

15 nodes, sized down recently from 30 (other service requirements reduced.
Solr, etc)

The simplest example of the inconsistency is using rowcounter. If I run the
same mapreduce job twice in a row, I get different counts:

hbase org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.Driver rowcounter
-Dmapreduce.map.speculative=false TABLENAME --starttime=1485907200000
--endtime=1486058400000

Looking at
org.​apache.​hadoop.​hbase.​mapreduce.​RowCounter​$RowCounterMapper​$Counters:
Run 1: 4876683
Run 2: 4866351

Similarly with exports of the same date/time. Consecutive runs of the export
get different results:
hbase org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.Export \
-Dmapred.map.tasks.speculative.execution=false \
-Dmapred.reduce.tasks.speculative.execution=false \
TABLENAME \
HDFSPATH 1 1485907200000 1486058400000

From Map Input/output records:
Run 1: 4296778
Run 2: 4297307

None of the results show anything for spilled records, no failed maps.
Sometimes the row count increases, sometimes it decreases. We aren’t using any
row filter queries, we just want to export chunks of the data for a specific
time range. This table is actively being read/written to, but I am asking about
a date range in early 2017 in this case, so that should have no impact I would
have thought. Another point is that the rowcount job and the export return
ridiculously different numbers. There should be no older versions of rows
involved as we are set to only keep the newest, and I can confirm that there
are rows that are consistently missing from the exports. Table definition is
below.

hbase(main):001:0> describe 'TABLENAME'
Table TABLENAME is ENABLED
TABLENAME
COLUMN FAMILIES DESCRIPTION
{NAME => 'text', DATA_BLOCK_ENCODING => 'NONE', BLOOMFILTER => 'ROW',
REPLICATION_SCOPE => '0', COMPRESSION => 'SNAPPY', VERSIONS => '1',
MIN_VERSIONS => '0', TTL => 'FOREVER', KEEP_DELETED_CELLS => 'FALSE', BLO
CKSIZE => '65536', IN_MEMORY => 'false', BLOCKCACHE => 'true'}
1 row(s) in 0.2800 seconds

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, are some of my assumptions
wrong regarding import/export and that it should be consistent given consistent
date/times?

Andrew Kettmann
Platform Services Group