From: Josh Elser [mailto:els...@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 11:59 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: Inconsistent rows exported/counted when looking at a set,
unchanged past time frame.

Hi Andrew,

Yes. The answer is, of course, that you should see consistent results from
HBase if there are no mutations in flight to that table. Whether you're reading
"current" or "back-in-time", as long as you're not dealing with raw scans
(where compactions may persist delete tombstones), this should hold just the
same.

Are you modifying older cells with newer data when you insert data?
Remember that MAX_VERSIONS for a table defaults to 1. Consider the
following:

* Timestamps are of the form "tX", and t1 < t2 < t3 < ..
* You are querying from the time range: [t1, t5].
* You have a cell for "row1" with at t3 with value "foo".
* RowCounter over [t1, t5] would return "1"
* Your ingest writes a new cell for "row1" of "bar" at t6.
* RowCounter over [t1, t5] would return "0" normally, or "1" is you use RAW
scans ***
* A compaction would run over the region containing "row1"
* RowCounter over [t1, t5] would return "0" (RAW or normal)

It's also possible that you're hitting some sort of bug around missing records
at query time. I'm not sure what the CDH versions you're using line up to, but
there have certainly been issues in the past around query-time data loss (e.g.
scans on RegionServers stop prematurely before all of the data is read).

Good luck!

*** Going off of memory here. I think this is how it works, but you should be
able to test easily ;)