Benchmarks I've run on this flag and tests on mutating the entry
(acknowledging that this would be bad practice in production) - agree with
Evgenii's comments. Namely that this attribute has an effect for on-heap
caches (I'm using 2.1). I find it has more of an effect in cases where he
same records are read multiple times - as compared with a single scan type
operation. The effect is about 50% faster than when using off heap storage
only.

Having said this, it is still 100 times slower than a hashmap for local read
operations. For the benefit of my understanding, what is likely to be taking
the time in this case? The mutation test suggests that there is no
marshalling/copying. Is there anything we can configure to improve on this?

Regards,
Colin.