The filter excludes the nodes from the list of those which can store data.
That's why those nodes would never receive any requests.

Considering your follow-up questions, I guess you are looking for
multi-tenancy capabilities. Do you want to prevent some of your
applications to update data stored in the cluster?

--
Denis