Hello!

Well, you have a multitude of options here:

Thick client is not recommended since it is a part of topology and it may
suffer in case your desktop becomes disconnected, for example.

You can use REST all right. REST can execute services' methods, and you can
write services to do anything that you need.

Then, you can use thin client, or you can roll out your own API on top of
Apache Ignite to be served from client or server nodes in the cluster and
do whatever operations are necessary.

Ilya Kasnacheev