George,

hummm, I could infer that you a java programmer, right ? Unless you are not, you MUST know that JAVA programs run inside a JVM and it needs ALL its dependencies inside its CLASSPATH.... ok with that ? If you are not, so I should say that you are in trouble... :D

Jbehave has LOT of dependencies (all jars) and to deal with that without a building tool (maven, ant, ivy or whatever) is a pain and is not productive FOR ANY TEAM...

So, there is no magic with maven, avy or ant... they just put all needed piece together and RUN what you want...

If you don't want, for any reason, use a building tool, you must to put all those dependencies in the running classpath for you own and run the tests same way any java class..: java -cp dep1, dep2, dep3, dep4 mainClass

To just show you how maven facilitates the life...:

get the code:
$> git clone git://git.codehaus.org/jbehave-core.git

compile and install jbehave-core:
$> cd jbehave-core
$> mvn clean install

compile the gameoflife:

$> cd examples/gameoflife
$> mvn package

You will see the created jar on examples/gameoflife/target directory

So now, JUST copy this jar PLUS all other jar that jbehave needs to a folder and If you know how to run any junit test from command line (just like the example above) you should have no problems in running jbehave with it... just need ensure all needed jars is in its classpath...

*_Invoking the Junit command:_*
java -cp jbehave-gameoflife-example-3.6-SNAPSHOT.jar, jb_dep1, jb_dep2 org.junit.runner.JUnitCore GameBehaviour

regards

Cristiano