It may not be "business" functionality, but it is behaviour nonetheless. It may not concern all stakeholders, but there are surely some stakeholders (e.g. architecture, infrastructure) that would be interested in it. As such it needs to be expressed and verified.

You could have one set of stories/scenarios that verify the business functionality with one default (non visible) protocol. Then have another set of stories that verify the same functionality for different protocols.