Got it! I reviewed the "parametrised.story" in the Trader JBehave example for the answer. It would nice if the JBehave documentation expressed this information. Here's how it is working right now (sans code clean-up):

root.story

        Scenario: description

        GivenStories:   scripts/requirement1.story#{0},
                        scripts/requirement1.story#{1}

<a token Given/When/Then steps. JBehave does not appear to process this file unless those steps are in here. Requires more investigation.>

        Examples:
        |protocol|
        |http   |
        |jms    |

requirement1.story

        Scenario: description

        Given I use <protocol>
        When ...

Steps.java

    @Given("I use <protocol>")
    public void iUse(@Named("protocol") String protocol) {
// this code is called twice. Once where "protocol=http", and once where "protocol=jms"
    }

While I'm still not entirely comfortable with expressing transport protocols in my behaviors, this solution avoids duplicating stories for each new protocol.

Thanx for your help Mauro.