Yes, the m2e plugin is very annoying in this. IMO it's one of the worst design decisions they've made when migrating from the original m2eclipse plugin. But with recent versions, Eclipse allows you to mark as ignored these errors without modifying the pom.xml. The feature is marked as experimental but it's stable and works fine. It stores the info to be ignored in the workspace (I'm not sure if it can exported and re-imported easily though).

This is why the source code is not polluted with the pom.xml modifications - as you say to preserve IDE neutrality.