On Linux, I'm not sure... I suspect you don't have to do anything special.

On Windows, it depends on the OS, but the changes are similar. Mostly, you need
to update the registry to change "the "MAXCONNECTIONSPERSERVER" and
"MAXCONNECTIONSPER1_0SERVER" settings to allow for a lot more outbound TCP
connections. Also on Win 7 (perhaps Vista as well), you need to increase the
"MaxUserPort" beyond the default.

If you are on a 'server' OS (Win2003, Win2008, etc.), you probably don't need
to make this change.  But on the XP, and Win Vista or Win 7 versions, you will
need to do it.

Just google those settings, and read the info about the registration hacks you
will need.

I created a '.reg' file for our Win7 systems, so I paste its contents here - in
case you have a Win7 box. You can save the below to a file, then go into
Registry Editor and 'Import' the file if you like. It sets all of the 'max
connection' values to 2000, and the maxuserport value to 65534 (which is the
max possible value). DON'T USE THIS FILE WITH OTHER VERSIONS OF WINDOWS - IT
WON'T WORK FOR ANYTHING BUT WIN7. Also, if you have already edited these
settings, I believe this will overwrite them. So you would probably just want
to manually add stuff from this. Lastly, these changes would not be appropriate
for an 'end-user' machine, only for a load-testing machine where you are
running less than 2000 simultaneous threads.

-------------------------CUT HERE------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MAXCONNECTIONSPER1_0SERVER]
"explorer.exe"=dword:00000800
"iexplore.exe"=dword:00000800
"firefox.exe"=dword:00000800
"chrome.exe"=dword:00000800
"java.exe"=dword:00000800
"javaw.exe"=dword:00000800
"ApacheJMeter.jar"=dword:00000800
"sllauncher.exe"=dword:00000800

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MAXCONNECTIONSPERSERVER]
"explorer.exe"=dword:00000800
"iexplore.exe"=dword:00000800
"firefox.exe"=dword:00000800
"chrome.exe"=dword:00000800
"java.exe"=dword:00000800
"javaw.exe"=dword:00000800
"ApacheJMeter.jar"=dword:00000800
"sllauncher.exe"=dword:00000800

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters]
"MaxUserPort"=dword:0000fffe

--
Robin D. Wilson
Sr. Director of Web Development