I would suggest:

write a sampler in Java that does the http put, then you can access the
Response object and set the size to a value you specify.
I think it would also work with the scripting samples (like Beanshell,
Javascript)

I personally don't think there is anything to fix, as all samplers return
the size of the response, and it would be confusing to have a model where
the size is sometimes the request, sometimes the response, or a mix of the
two. I'm a JMeter user, not a developer, so that's just my opinion, maybe
I'm missing something obvious