Greetings!

I have been tasked with transitioning our load testing infrastructure from
physical Windows servers to virtual machines running linux (Redhat
Enterprise Linux 7, to be specific) hosted on VMware.  I am looking for
input on how to spec the VMs in terms of number of vCPUs and RAM as well as
number of VMs.  Would I be better off with fewer beefy VMs or more VMs of
more modest specification?  At present, we have 5 physical servers where
one machine is used as a master/controller and the other four are remote
servers that run the test plans and generate load.  Should the master
server be spec'ed differently from the remote servers?

In the end, I need to be able to make a request to the department
responsible for the VMware environment for a number of VMs with general
specifications regarding # of virtual CPU, allocated RAM, and allocated
disk space.  The hosts in the VMware farm appear to be running Intel Xeon
E7-4860 v2 (Sandy Bridge) @ 2.6GHz CPUs

Background on how we use JMeter:

I work for a large university, with about 35K students and 10K
faculty/staff, and we are using JMeter to load test our Oracle PeopleSoft
ERP systems (HR, Finance, & Student Administration), when we do major
software or hardware upgrades. We transitioned from HP Loadrunner to JMeter
about 2 years ago with JMeter 3.x.  When load testing, our objectives are
to verify that our server/database configurations are sufficient to handle
the anticipated user load for events like student registration, housing
sign-up, or employee annual benefits enrollment, as well as testing for
reasonable response time for particular business processes, like initial
user SSO login to the integrated ERP system, a student registering for
classes, or generating a voucher to pay for something in the financials
system.

Thanks for the help!

-- Scott Dean
    North Carolina State University