One thing I've been working on recently is a deployment agent for
fabric (see
http://gnodet.blogspot.com/2011/05/introducing-fusesource-fabric.html).
 We've used a slightly different mechanism as the agent is responsible
for all the deployments so that it can actually upgrade all the
bundles, including karaf bundles and even the osgi framework itself.
This way, the agent can actually upgrade features to newer versions.
The downside is that you need to go through the agent for all
deployments.

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 17:42, bbolingbroke
<bolingbrok...@familysearch.org> wrote:
> If your goal is to have zero downtime, then when you upgrade to 1.1, would
> you follow these steps?
>
> You release 1.1 and deploy it to the maven repo
>
> features:addurl mvn:org.yourorg/yourproject-features/1.1/xml
> features:install yourapp/1.1
> features:uninstall yourapp/1.0
> features:removeurl mvn:org.yourorg/yourproject-features/1.0/xml

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
Open Source SOA