On Nov 1, 2011, at 9:58 AM, mikevan wrote:

> David,
>

> When I read the early-release of the OSGi Service Platform Spec that
> contained the Subsystem Specification, I gotta admin, I got pretty excited.
>

> I like the ability to group a set of bundles into a subsystem , and then to
> control the visibility of packages both within the subsystem and external to
> the subsystem. When we talk about deploying a Karaf-managed application (a
> set of subsystems and the core karaf bundles) into a virtual machine, the
> ability to pick and choose the specific subsystems to deploy will make things
> like thread-management and cpu utilization easier.
>

> While the karaf features provisioning mechanism provides a grouping and
> deployment mechanism, there is no way to define the visibility of packages
> outside of a feature. Either a package is available to everyone, or it is
> available to no-one. A subsystem provisioning mechanism that allows for this
> control of visibility will in all likelihood allow us to solve a number of
> problems that karaf users are currently faced with.

That seems likely.  What I'm slightly uncomfortable with in (my understanding
of) the subsystem spec is that it ties a "region"  (set of bundles with
restricted visibility to other regions) to a subsystem (either feature,
composite, or application)  which has fairly fixed content.  I'm afraid this is
going to be too restrictive and that most people may want to set up a few
regions with specified visibility to other regions and then start deploying
sets of bundles (karaf features) into specific regions.  This seems to me like
a more flexible point of view.  Anyway this is what I'm implementing and maybe
we can see if people like it.  This will also give people a chance to
experiment with isolation before the spec is out.

> When thinking this through, I wonder if provisioning should be handled by
> Felix instead of Karaf?  Felix is a service platform, and will need to
> implement its own provisioning capability at some point.  Does it make sense
> to continue keeping it in karaf?  I know this is thinking about something
> that may not take place for a while (maybe 6 months to a  year), but I do
> think we should start looking into it.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by provisioning.  Aries is developing the
subsystem RI on top of the eclipse regions jar.  My understanding of the
subsystem spec is that a subsystem has an application manifest that lists the
bundles you are sure you want in the subsystem, and then a deployment manifest
is generated that also includes all the other bundles needed to make it work.
I think this uses OBR (possibly a newer spec version than current felix obr
implementation, I'm not sure).  Then you deploy the subsystem from the
deployment manifest, and it tells you where the bundles to install are.

So from this point of view I'm not sure what parts of this are provisioning and
how provisioning could be part of felix when the subsystems stuff is in aries.

I'm always confused by what provisioning is.... maybe this time I'll find out
:-)

thanks
david jencks