On 7/1/2016 10:15 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
I have a ton of working JAX-RS in 4.0.4 with CXF 3.1.x. I didn't see
the start of this thread. What's the problem?

There's no problem. I was simply pointing out to Markus that ECF has a Jax-RS-based distribution provider among many others [1], all of which implement the most recent OSGi Remote Service and Remote Service Admin specifications. I understand that many are not familiar with these specifications and am trying to make that more commonly know. These are OSGi standards for doing remote OSGi services and do ease some of the development pain of doing remote OSGi services, particularly as a way to avoid transport/impl lock-in. We also have a tutorial [3] describing the use of Jax-RS along with remote services.

Our Jax-RS distribution provider [4] can/does use CXF. Having the ability to select providers (or create one's own) can be beneficial since...among other advantages...people would like to have their OSGi services inter-operate with existing deployed services, while being able to add and use OSGi remote services for OSGi runtimes like Karaf.

Markus: WRT SmartHome, it might be useful for you/your project to look at ECF [5], since it's an EF mature project, is a fully compliant impl of RS/RSA specs, and also supports several of the IoT protocols (e.g. MQTT, etc).

Scott

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Distribution_Providers
[2] https://wiki.eclipse.org/EIG:Remote_Services_Admin
[3] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Tutorial:_Exposing_a_Jax_REST_service_as_an_OSGi_Remote_Service