Actually, feature <config/> now populate the etc folder as well (since Karaf 4.0.5 AFAIR).

You already found the confiFile option for features. This is the most
widely used option.
The alternative is the config option which simply adds the config in
config admin but not in etc.

Both variants do not cover the upgrade case. A simply way is to just
remove the old config to make sure the new default one is written. There
is no built in mechanism to preserve user changes in karaf.

Christian