The common technique is to use (MAX_LONG - timestamp). Unfortunately this
won't let you toggle the sort order back-and-forth on the same table. You
could have a duplicate table with the inverse key, effectively using it as
a secondary index.

As of version 0.98, HBase supports a reverse scan without a 'secondary
index' table (HBASE-4811), so with a bit of work Kudu may be able to
provide something similar.

Patrick Angeles
Chief Architect Financial Services
151 West 26th Street Suite 1002 | New York, NY 10001
+1 (917) 633-4524