Hello

I have a query where i do group by on a varchar column. The column values
are long sentences (not just single words). This column is part of a
dimension table.

When i select just from dimension table with this group by then I do
get ~2000 records   .

But when I join this dimension with the fact table and run the group by
query then I get just 1 record as Kylin somehow assumes the VARCHAR column
values as NULL. There is not even a single row which has value of this
VARCHAR field as null.

Same query I copy paste and run on the Hive tables, I do get more than
thousand records.

Strange thing is when I change the aggregate column to another VARCHAR
column (city_name) whose values are just one word and run on kylin SQL
editor then I do get proper records .

2 questions

- Any idea why such behaviour ? Especially when Hive gives proper records
whereas kylin returns just one record which has value of this big varchar
field as NULL.

- Is there any work around?