I guess I could say that the approach is totally different, but in reality
you start at the same point, working out what query you want. But after that
things change. Let's consider two cases, the huge network and the paging
examples you used below.

For the first, keep in mind that if you scale the total database size,
relational db's don't scale as well as graph db's, because in relational
db's performance is related to total table size, whereas graph db's
performance is not. However, both db's are affected by the result set size.
So for twitter type cases, graph db's scale better with total subscriber
base, but not necessarily for an individual 'mega-user'. But let's look at
that case. I believe a real human user would never be able to process
millions of messages a day, so I must assume that this is a bot use case,
perhaps a script that subscribes to enormous numbers of people scanning for
particular patterns of information. Both relational and graph db's will feel
the strain on a huge resultset. Personally I would probably follow twitters
example and return only paginated result, breaking up the load so the bot
would not negatively impact the network for human users.

So, getting to pagination, the query you want is perhaps 'give me the
ordered results, as a block of n messages starting at message x'. Obviously
this is easily translatable into SQL for relational databases. For the graph
database, it is a little more work, but again you start with that verbal
query and figure out what it really means in a graph. There are two key
components:

   - Ordered results
   - Starting point and number of results

For SQL this translates to 'order by', 'where id > x' and 'limit n'. For
graph databases this translates into adding ordering relationships like
message(X)-->PREVIOUS-->message(X+1). On each pagination, you can take the
the node id in the session). Each pagination is simply a traverser that runs
down the PREVIOUS chain, exiting the loop after n messages.