Jonathan,
right now the focus is on getting Master-Slave replication up. That
is, run a cluster of distributed machines with the same graph and
master failover. After that, sharding is one of the areas where it
would be VERY interesting to start experimenting with different
approaches both from the Insert-time-sharding (upfront-sharding of
your domain much like in document- key/value and other approaches) and
the runtime sharding (the redistribution of data to better reflect
runtime characteristics of e.g. traversals etc).

To start with, a simple application that uses different neo4j
instances to hold different parts of a domain would be a great
contribution in order to show and explore "domain space" sharding.

Do you have any special thoughts on good approaches?

Cheers,

/peter neubauer

COO and Sales, Neo Technology

GTalk:      neubauer.peter