Yes, the statistics tool almost does that, but with a wider range of
possible encodings.

What would you want from a class like that? Give it a string as input and
have it tell you if it is short or not? Or go through an existing store and
tell you how many of the strings are short?

-tobias

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Balazs E. Pataki <pat...@dsd.sztaki.hu>wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
>
> Do you happen to have some little class which can at tell us which
> property values neo4j would consider short and which of your 6 encoding
> would it use? Maybe the string statistics collecting program you created
> earlier has this logic - but I'm just guessing.
>
> Thanks,
> ---
> balazs
>
> On 3/3/11 11:52 AM, Tobias Ivarsson wrote:
> > No there is no simpler way, yet. We've been thinking about creating a
> "short
> > string compression tool" for accomplishing this, but haven't done so yet.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Tobias
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Balazs E. Pataki<pat...@dsd.sztaki.hu
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a big database based on Neo4J 1.2. Now, if I would like to use
> >> the "short strings" feature of Neo4j 1.3 M03 I should regenerate my full
> >> database, that is all strings should be reset so that it may or may not
> >> be stored according to the new "short strings" policy.
> >>
> >> It seems to me that the easiest way to do this would be to somehow be
> >> able to copy the full 1.2 database to a newly created 1.3 M03 database
> >> by traversing the 1.2 database. But there maybe a simpler (neo4j
> >> builtin) way to do this. Any hints about this?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> ---
> >> balazs

Tobias Ivarsson <tobias.ivars...@neotechnology.com>