David,
I think this problem falls into the category of graph algos. It seems
there is some research required to get a suitable solution. Have you
done some investigations yourself and can point the community to
starting points, so people might have an easier time to get ideas?

Cheers,

/peter neubauer

GTalk:      neubauer.peter
Skype       peter.neubauer