Yes it makes sense in the case of for example ALS.
With or without this idea, the more general point is that this result
is still problematic. It is somewhat useful in comparing in a relative
sense; I'd rather have a recommender that stacks my input values
somewhere near the top than bottom. But metrics like precision@5 get
hard to interpret -- because they are often near 0 even when things
are working reasonably well. Mean average precision considers the
results in a more complete sense, as would AUC.