I believe the suggestion is just for purposes of evaluation. You would
not return these items in practice, yes.

Although there are cases where you do want to return known items. For
example, maybe you are modeling user interaction with restaurant
categories. This could be useful, because as soon as you see I
interact with "Chinese" and "Indian" you may recommend "Thai"; it
might even be a stronger recommendation than the two known categories.
But I may not want to actually exclude Chinese and Indian from the
list entirely.