I have used thumbs-down-like interactions as like an anti-click, and
subtracts from the interaction between the user and item. The negative
scores can be naturally applied in a matrix-factorization-like model
like ALS, but that's not the situation here.

Others probably have better first-hand experience here, but yes I have
heard of recommending to the negative actions as well and ranking
results by the difference between the positive and negative predicted
rating. That is, subtract out the scores from the negative recs.
Filtering is a crude but more efficient version of this.