my 1 cents (since it is less than 2) is MAHOUT_LOCAL is part of MR legacy
packaging. as long as MR is still here (and I would say it needs to be
still here, unless it falls in complete disrepair and totally out of sync
with even dated mapreduce apis), MAHOUT_LOCAL needs to stay. As soon as MR
goes, it goes too.

maybe we just simply need a separate mahout script for non-legacy things,
or factor out legacy related shell things into another script (something
like mahout-mr.sh instead of mahout.sh)