Hi , I am a newcomer to the project, and I think the current website
definitely could use a re-build.  One of the things I think that enables
quick adoption of any new project are the quick start tutorials.  In
particular I like the way the Apache zeppelin site is structured.  There is
a lot of information on the Mahout site, and a lot of good hints, but it
took me a while to get something that worked.
  It might be nice to have something like
  quick start mahout/samsara basic
  quick start mahout/samsara with spark
  quick start mahout/samsara with gpu
  etc etc

Sometimes less is more.   There is too much information being put on the
homepage and its confusing...  I think the old mapreduce stuff could
probably be pushed very low down.  Also, having scala docs available would
be great too.  Just my 2pennies.