Hundreds of users are going to generate a really, really tiny amount of
data (relative to the normal amounts that recommenders get to see).

The problem is that hundreds of hyper-active users who issue thousands of
queries are only going to generate a tiny amount of data per document. You
will need to have roughly 20 positive interactions per document to get
decent performance. If you have a thousand documents, that means you will
need an absolutely (and implausible) 20 thousand engagements. Because the
distribution will be very lop-sided, you probably need 10-100x more than
that.

The final result is your hundreds of users would likely need to issue
thousands of queries. Each.

That seems like a lot.

You should get good results for a small minority of documents at smaller
data volumes.