On 06/03/2015 09:27 AM, Brian Hicks wrote:
1. We’ve been aliasing everything to “leader/follower” in the projects
I’m a part of. I think it gets rid of the problematic language while
still being descriptive of the architectural model. “agent” makes sense
to me, too (since those processes do have agency in some situations) but
I would call it a second choice, personally.

With all due respect, I think my concerns are being ignored, so I going to attempt to shed some light on them, again.

Backgound: Although most of my work is in software, Computer scientist,
I also hold degrees in Electrical Engineering and PetroChemical Engineering. I am "a hardware guy" who writes code and implemnents technology long before it becomes an industry standard. As an older and definitely wiser engineer folks are not recognizing the problems that lead to 'shear idiocy' with some perceived benefit.

IN computers we have busses. This is always a buss-master and slaves that participate in Buss arbitration as slaves are call 'slave-processor. There are many analogies where you are going to leave hardware designers scratching their heads and laughing, loudly.

Master-Slave is as much a mathematical term among its myriad of connotations. It means that master (A) 100% controls slave (B) in a fully deterministic fashion. It means slave (B) is 100% subservient to any future requirement yet to be defined or implemented by Master (A).It's a mathematical thing.

I do not believe there is another word-pair in the English (globish) language that remotely displays this level of control nor instantaneous comprehension. Technology is built upon jargon; you mess with that you risk obscurity. The history of parallel process is a grave-yard of idiodic terminologies.

Ah *CONTROL THEORY*. Master-Slave is as fundamental as arithmetic. In the industrial world there are billion if not trillions of master-slave relationships between hardware, systems and software. It's 100% deterministic (non-fuzzy unless you count 'dont-care states') for hard, practical reasons. Often something that acts autonomous, is changed and brought into "slave mode" to ensure correctness and determinism. A common example, If you have several process controllers in a series, the controller at the start of the arrow is always the 'master' and the controller at the point of the arrow is the slave. Instantly understood and universally accepted.

It is a convention in hardware and software that is instantaneously understood. You change that nomenclature and folks are just going to scratch their head, stick up their hand and say isn't this just a master-slave relationship? Once you affirm that, then their second question is the totally predictable, so why not call it master-slave like everything else does? I could write textbooks on the engineering usage of 'master-slave' and never have I as an engineer with a Professional Certification have I never heard of this complaint about such a prcise meaning in terms. In engineering and science, english is the best and universal language, but it is mostly a struggle to approach such accuracy as the terms 'master-slave'. Please do not 'fuzzify' this well understood and universally accepted jargon. Surely
you and others can find a better pathway for social improvement?

Hardware-->Software-->applications.
-----------------------------------

I know this is a 'software-weenie' intensive group here developing and testing mesos; surely I fall into that category too. Hell, I build everything up form 100% sources as a gentoo aficionado. But, clusters and clouds will make their biggest splash in the 'hardware world', once ubiquitous computations and general software can be migrated to a cluster. Mesos is a candidate, but sticking with established industry jargon, is a very good idea, imo.

Process Controls (the software, hardware and logic used to control pumps) by some estimates are responsible for more that 40% of all energy consumption on the globe. There is a gargantuan need to apply clustering, particularly ubiquitous clusters, so that faster and better software can have more features and support things like R, Scala, and Haskell. I'm already on contract to deliver a mesos cluster, to a company full of technicians to use for 'sensor fusion' and 'video analytics' Most technicians struggle with windows and macs yet every thing I've set up for them before on linux or bsd is wonderfully accepted and operated by *TECHNICIANS*. Please go spend some time in the field and deploy some state of the art software and train technicians to use, to 'master it' and how to fix it in the middle of the night so you can get some sleep (thank GOD for redundancy and hot spares). Cameras and sensors are 'slaved' to processes and controllers and software, routinely.

I also am working with some computational chemistry folks (at a university) for customizing a cluster with very specific and bontiful embedded systems (FPGAs). Sorry, but the term master-slave is of paramount importance systemically in that project too.

As a public speaker, as a consultant, as the defacto resident expert on matters of software-hardware interaction where ever I go, much to my chagrin, I can tell you unequivacolly I have never ever heard anybody complain about the term, master or slave or master-slave, in the many heterogeneous environments over the deecades from the deserts, to the arctic and places that do not formally exist. *NEVER*. But I will concede I avoid idiot psycologists and social engineering to those that like to *waste the time* of others. Me, I have to 'getter done' and master slave is not optional, its a fundamental mathematical relationship, since long before the 'Greek masters' and mathematicians.

2. mesos-{whatever-we-decide}
3. I don’t think “master” is as problematic as “slave”, but it does have
some of the same connotations. If we’re going to take the time to
rename, we should rename both. But if it turns out to be infeasible from
a project management standpoint, “master” will probably be fine.
4. same as others have said: start off with documentation changes,
follow through with code changes. Deprecate the old binary names over
several versions, to avoid a cliff.

Masters only have slaves. A master is 100% in control or some form of
autonomy exists. So if you have a master, you have slaves. What level of math did you finish in school? Did you go to a good university or night school? You need to brush up on math, for this audience, imho.

I previously suggested that this naming scheme be set up so as to be 'user definable'. You know may 'preprocessor directives' or such. This would ease the transition across a few releases of mesos and allow for folks like myself to use industry standard jargon, i.e. to use correct terms with instantaneous understanding, in a fully deterministic manner. Where is the discussion on that propose solution? This solution of user definability is a win-win for all users of mesos. It also set the stage in the future for nodes that have some degree of well define autonomy or even experimentation with 'self-modifying-codes' among the slave populations. It even sets the state for node migration amoung differnent cluster solutions in data centers.

So if you are fully determined to change the name, why not add some flexibiilty for the evolution of mesos, but allowing these and other terms to be 'user definable'?

For what it’s worth, I think it’s good that the Mesos project
understands that the words we use have different meanings to different
people. While I am not “offended” by the current terminology I
understand that master/slave has a strong connotation towards ongoing
civil and human rights abuses, and I would seek to distance the project
from that. Continuing to make these words part of our everyday lexicon
normalizes oppressive structures, and sends a strong signal to people
outside the “blessed” group.

BLAH BLAH BLAH. Really? You sound like a pedantic defining a social evil that fills you full of guilt;but yet to instantiate for the rest of society. Can you name one actual person that is offended by the terms master-slave that will actually peruse the sources? Note: sun-baked Californians with little productive requirements at their job, do not count. Boy, I guess the drought is really tougher than the rest of us realized?

Mesos is an industry-leading technology,  and we have a responsibility to build
an inclusive
and friendly  community. This is not only for the good of the product, but for
the  good of the industry and all the people whose lives are effected by it.

Not if idiotic ideas like this dominate. I suggest you weigh this perceived benefit against the technical costs and the shear fact that if these 'workers' are 100% control, they are slaves in ALL common industry jargon. No wonder EEs laugh at CS folks. Just so you know
there are EE that are building and operating computers that run on
on waves (light). You might also directly comment on the idea of making
these terms 'user definable'. Or is this just some form of tantrum?

So, strong +1.
Brian Hicks

So a realistic and practical -1
Sincerely