Oh,

Here is a link that explains the Variable meanings for the packages
downloaded by gentoo's package manager, portage::

https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/variables/

I really am at the stage that I want/need to test many tarball releases
and also to start testing on other architectures, like aarch64.
Please advise on the location(s) of these tarballs, even if they
are not formal releases or release candidates.

Is anyone testing tarball compilations on other arches?
Do I need to start reading the dev list for this sort of granularity?
All suggestions are most welcome

curiously,
James

I'm confused. Here at gentoo, we usually (almost always) follow the
release numbers including the full minor release number designations
of the tarball. So if I download a tarball, it's not references by minor
release number?

Here is a simple, quick example::

www-client/seamonkey        Available versions:  2.33.1-r1 2.35

This accuracy is quintessentially necessary for the gentoo community.
Do I have to fix the name of the tarballs manually?  In gentoo ebuilds,
the files that download, the tarballs directly from a source repo
the exact and complete version number is necessary.   Should
I use github?

What are recommendations for this?

Here is what I'm using for mesos' current ebuild::

SRC_URI="http://apache.org/dist/${PN}/${PV}/${P}.tar.gz";

curiously,
James