> On Jun 26, 2017, at 5:30 PM, James Peach <jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 26, 2017, at 4:05 PM, Steven Schlansker <sschlans...@opentable.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jun 25, 2017, at 11:24 PM, Benjamin Mahler <bmah...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> As a data point, as far as I'm aware, most users are using a local work
>>> directory, not an NFS mounted one. Would love to hear from anyone on the
>>> list if they are doing this, and if there are any subtleties that should be
>>> documented.
>>
>> We don't run NFS in particular but we did originally use a SAN -- two
>> observations:
>>
>> NFS (historically, maybe it's better now, but doubtful...) has really bad
>> failure modes.
>> Network failures can cause serious hangs both in user-space and
>> kernel-space.  Such
>> hangs can be impossible to clear without rebooting the machine, and in some
>> edge cases
>> can even make it difficult or impossible to reboot the machine via normal
>> means.
>
> You need to make sure to mount with the "intr" option.
>
> https://speakerdeck.com/gnb/130-lca2008-nfs-tuning-secrets-d7

That's not without some caveats.  nfs(5):

The intr / nointr mount option is deprecated after kernel 2.6.25. Only SIGKILL
can interrupt a pending NFS operation on these kernels, and if specified, this
mount option is ignored to provide backwards compatibility with older kernels.
Using the intr option is preferred to using the soft option because it is
significantly less likely to result in data corruption.

NB: A so-called "soft" timeout can cause silent data corruption in certain
cases. As such, use the soft option only when client responsiveness is more
important than data integrity. Using NFS over TCP or increasing the value of
the retrans option may mitigate some of the risks of using the soft option.

So, 'intr' is deprecated / removed on any reasonable kernel, and 'soft' has
silent data corruption issues.
Typical Linux, having a broken implementation that then points you to instead
use a deprecated / removed implementation :)

I'm sure there's a way to get NFS working great.  Just pointing out that you'll
need an expert to take ownership of it!