Usually you would have the is_alert set based on more complex rules, and then
potentially have different rules to determine the importance of the alert, so
they do tend to serve different purposes.

For example a triage rule might be set on levels of an indicator after is_alert
has been triggered by a simple presence of a non-zero result for that
indicator, e.g. is it 2x std_devs, or 4x std_devs as different rule levels.
We’re adding the ability to make score a stellar statement which simplifies
this further by allowing score to be a function, but thresholds are still
useful to determine the text content of the alert for example.

Simon