From: Matt Foley <mfo...@hortonworks.com<mailto:mfo...@hortonworks.com>>
Date: Monday, March 13, 2017 at 11:12 AM
To: "user@metron.incubator.apache.org<mailto:user@metron.incubator.apache.org>"
<user@metron.incubator.apache.org<mailto:user@metron.incubator.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: a proper entry level documentation

Hi Moshe,
Re the Elastic Search port question, ES uses both 9200 and 9300.  This is
consistent with the answer to the stackoverflow question you cited.  Port 9200
is used for RESTful API and Browser interactions.  Port 9300 is used for Java
Client APIs and intra-cluster communications.

The RESTful port configuration is stated to be 9200-9300 (meaning, I think,
9200-9299, which should have been the answer to that stackoverflow question),
I’m not sure how anything but port 9200 would actually be used given the
behavior of REST, but perhaps it is.

However, the Java/intra-cluster port usage is stated to be 9300-9400 (probably
also meaning 9300-9399), and these clients, which are provided by the ES
application code, apparently do know how to switch ports within that range, in
cooperation with the server, to support multiple simultaneous persistent
connections.

Both port ranges must be configured for ES to work correctly, but of course you
can change the actual port range values if needful in your environment.