I have been doing a lot of hardware+Metron work lately as I prepare to buy
my prod hardware, I would be happy to work with you on things.  Once my
build is in production I will publish statistics regarding my environment.
For some very brief mobile friendly metrics, I ingest about 25,000 events
per second/600GB of uncompressed logs a day and I'm looking at a 16 DN
cluster with 256 GB RAM (8x32GB for later expansion to 512GB), 9 non-OS
spinning drives, and 2x2660v4 CPUs.  Either 4 or 6 similar boxes (but with
6 spinning disks non-OS) for search.  This doesn't include things like NN,
gateway boxes, etc.

Happy to talk more detail off list, until I can get more formal approval to
release details publicly.

Do you have a general idea of logs per second/uncompressed log size per
day?  Will you be storing PCAP?  Any complicated
enrichments/triage/transformations?  Modeling is another huge curveball.

Jon

--

Jon