I had the same problem a while ago; I accidentally forgot to supply the schema
when creating a core and had the digest/string*s* problem. Here's some more
explanation of what I did, I hope I remember correctly:

I am using (just like Markus suggested) the schema.xml from nutch which sets
<fieldType name="string" class="solr.StrField" ...
and
<field name="digest" type="string" ...

I duplicated the data_driven_schema_configs/conf/ configset and replaced the
managed-schema file with Nutch's schema.xml so I have:
[...]/solr/configsets/my_config/managed_schema

Core is created like so:
solr create -c corename -d my_config

Hope that helps,
Felix