Hi,

an alternative approach (that would require some enhancements to the
system) is that of creating a special (non-cash) payment for the credit
memo amount that is applied to the outstanding invoice together with the
cash payment.
For example:
invoice from vendor: $100
credit memo from vendor: $20

then the buyer could create two payment:
cash payment: $80
non cash payment (from credit memo): $20

the two payments can be applied to the original invoice of $100 to fully
pay it.
The cash payment will Credit the Cash Account; the non cash payment will
Credit a special (Asset) account whose balance represents the total amount
of credit memos received from seller and not yet applied.

Thanks for the interesting topic,

Jacopo