The client XML file is the hbase-site.xml that is on the classpath of the
Phoenix client application.
You have to add it to the client classpath, and keep the hbase-site.xml on
the server/AWS side and the hbase-site.xml in sync.

I have no experience with Phoenix on AWS, but the above is generally true
for Phoenix.

--
*István Tóth* | Staff Software Engineer
st...@cloudera.com <https://www.cloudera.com>